"The Sociopath at the Breakfast Table" By Jane & Tim McGregor

Started by Latchkey, August 20, 2014, 12:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latchkey

The Sociopath at the Breakfast Table: Recognizing and Dealing With Antisocial and Manipulative People
by Jane McGregor (Author), Tim McGregor (Author)

Paperback: 144 pages
Publisher: Hunter House (February 11, 2014)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0897936965
ISBN-13: 978-0897936965

Summary from Amazon:
Sociopaths can be found in every facet of life: personal relationships, work, school, and family. Most people have been in a relationship or interacted with more than one sociopath in their lifetime, often not recognizing their danger until it was too late. The Sociopath At the Breakfast Table breaks new ground in the field of abusive relationships. It presents an emerging theory about sociopathic interaction: SEAT, or the "Sociopath-Empath-Apath Triad." With this new found understanding of how sociopaths worm their way into people's lives, readers can use the tips and techniques found in this book to protect themselves from potential harm. More importantly, the authors show how empathy can be used as an antidote to sociopathic abuse - thus, victims are able to seize back power and ultimately regain control over their lives. This book presents readers information and tips on every aspect of interactions with a sociopath, from avoiding meeting one, to getting rid of them, dealing with the aftermath, and regaining control of their life.

Review:
I found this book to be the perfect sequel to The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout

Even if you have not read that book it is excellent and it does give you a summary of Stout's book and helps update with new research as it was just published this year. As someone who is usually an Empath in real life. I find myself often dealing with the Apath and Sociopath in situations and seeing this spelled out helped me so much.

Would recommend it for those dealing with PD persons in relationships and in the family and especially the workplace.

-Latchkey
What is your plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver
-
I can be changed by what happens to me but I refuse to be reduced by it.
-Maya Angelou
-
When we have the courage to do what we need to do, we unleash mighty forces that come to our aid.

Toby

Thank you for the recommendation.

Purchased it and reading it now. Haven't delved into it thoroughly, however, what I have taken in thus far suggested the text is within keeping of the DSM-5 & 4, written by a  Dr. couple and based on current circles and/or publications of mental health. Very promising for a guided read.  :like: