"Toads and the Women Who Kiss Them" by Alexandra Nouri

Started by womanonceabird, December 04, 2013, 08:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

womanonceabird

subtitled "aunt alex's army manual : how to free yourself from the narcissist"

i can't remember whether this is available in book format or whether it's just an e-book, but i have it on my phone and refer to certain passages on a daily basis - she just has a way of stating the facts that seems to stick with me :)

it's a funny little thing, this book - she sticks quite rigidly with referring to PDs as "toads" and really has set the thing out like an army induction manual.  i found this a bit childish and irritating at first, but actually, she's so great at telling it like it is that it doesn't bother me at all now. 

whilst it has the word "narcissist" in the subtitle, the advice contained within works well for all PDs, i'd imagine. 

this little snippet, for me, is golden:

"with toads, you ALWAYS have the upper hand.  ALL toads are terrified at the prospect of exposure, showing the world what he really is, how empty he is, what a fraud he is, how screwed up he is ... "  :yes:

OpenHeart

I downloaded this book a couple of days ago mostly because I like the title (it made me smile which I need to these days).  I agree with much of what you say about Aunt Alex.  It is written as an easy read with catch phrases that are easy to remember.  One of my favorites?  IF YOU KISS A FROG, HE JUST MIGHT TURN INTO A PRINCE.  IF YOU KISS A TOAD, HE'LL JUST PEE ON YOUR HAND.  That I could relate to cause I've had my hand peed on sooo many times.  I'm making cards of my favorite sayings to keep in my purse to take out when I start feeling confused or feel a JADE coming on.  I like "Toadspeak" being translated into English.  I'm leaving Toadworld after the holidays. 
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

WITCH - Woman In Total Control of Herself
BITCH - BABE In Total Control of Herself