Bipolar 2

Started by Eyessoblue, October 06, 2017, 04:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyessoblue

Does anyone know if it's possible to have ptsd and bipolar 2? I'm convinced I have bipolar (already have a ptsd diagnosis) or could it be that the symptoms of PTSD are the same as bipolar 2? My moods are so extreme from literally one moment to the next and I feel like I'm lost somewhere between the 2. My dad was a manic depressive which makes me more convinced that I have it. Im waiting to see a psychiatrist as my antidepressants don't seem to be working but have a 6 week wait until I can see him.

Dee

It is possible to have both.  Be careful about self-diagnosis.  Just tell your Dr. your fears and let them diagnose you.

Eyessoblue

Thanks Dee, yes I'm trying not to self diagnose but all the symptoms add up but will not put words into their mouths and wait and see what they pick up.

AphoticAtramentous

I have extreme mood swings as well, know how you feel there.
But I think that Bipolar is when your mood swings are extreme but don't "swing" for some amount of time... Days, weeks, months... So I don't know if you'd fall under the diagnosis requirements.
Those with CPTSD have plenty of mood swings as well though, between high and low. But they are mainly caused by EFs I believe. Not sure, not an expert.

Though I'm sure it's definitely possible to have Bipolar and CPTSD. Bipolar is something you have from birth, it's genetic at times. CPTSD comes from the environment. They don't cross each other out in anyway.

Jazzy

In my case, my psychiatrist changed my diagnosis of bipolar 2 to CPTSD.  I can't say what yours will do, but if you do your best to explain your symptoms and work on it together, it should go well.

sigiriuk

Hi
It is possible to have more than one psychiatric disorder. For example, a person with schizophrenia can get a depressive illness. A person with dementia can have panic disorder.

Your situation is more straightforward, and less complex (thankfully). Bipolar 2 symptoms are often very similar to cPTSD. Some people mistake emotional dysregulation and call it hypomania. Depression is always seen in cPTSD and again some clinicians will use that as confirmation for a bipolar2 diagnosis.

So it boils down to one simple question: When you were elated, how long did it last? Brief means 8-12 hours, and that would mean it is more likely to be dysregulation.  Days or weeks of constant elation is more likely to be bipolar2.

Having a diagnosis is still very important to me. I was surprised how much it validated how I felt.
But it cannot help me make sense of my childhood, and so diagnoses have their limitations.