Stimulant medication?

Started by Echo, September 25, 2017, 08:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echo

Hi, not sure if I'm posting this in the right place.

I was put on Adderall a few months ago by a psychatrist who said I had "severe adult ADHD." I think this strongly correlates with my C-PTSD symptoms.

Has anyone had any experience with this? My fear is that I will become addicted to it and not be able to cope without it. If I skip a dose I have trouble functioning, more so than when I started the medication.

Three Roses

Hi - I've read your introductory post too, is this the same psychiatrist that you suspect of being a narcissist?

sigiriuk

Hi Echo
You asked some important questions:
1. Can i trust my psychiatrist
2. Do i have ADHD or cPTSD or both
3. Will I become addicted to the meds
4. When I skip a dose, do i feel bad because the meds actually work, or do I feel bad because of withdrawal from meds.

All i can say is that, you can become addicted to ADHD meds. They do work however, and give people the ability to calm down and get some control back. I would rather take them than self-medicate with alcohol, cannabis etc etc. (Both of which make my cPTSD much worse).

Childhood trauma messes up our nervous system and gives us ADHD like symptoms, so we often have both sets of symptoms: cPTSD and ADHD.

For me, it took me many years (20+) to find someone I could trust: i didn't trust doctors, therapists, friends, teachers, work colleagues. Looking back, they were all decent people, but my head was full of trauma and distress, and i could not see clearly. Some of these people had been offering me a lifeline, but i was so suspicious.

Hope this helps you
Slim

Echo

Three Roses, this is a different psychiatrist who I saw for the first time a couple months ago when I was having trouble getting schoolwork done. The other (possible narcissist?) is a therapist who I've been seeing for a few years.

Slim, I agree about the self-medicating. I can see where in the past I've tried to self-medicate with alcohol and I'm glad I didn't venture further down that road. I also had increased anxiety and other symptoms after I would drink.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I want to trust doctors/therapists but it may take me a while to get to that place.

Delltabico

Nowadays, it is gaining popularity. Including my own interests.

felicitymtdypaige

I fully agree, there are very few professional psychologists now.

SoniaWilkins

A very controversial situation, I suggest that you think about changing your psychologist. But of course, even though your doctor failed to give you the correct diagnosis, you still need treatment. Adderall is a very strong pharmacological substance, as far as I know, it's even banned in some EU countries and Russia. I think you need to undergo a second examination and try to replace Adderall with cannabis. To stop taking Adderall immediately will be very difficult because it is highly addictive. But replacing it with marijuana in its purest form, and then with cannabis oils and various ganja sweets will help you get rid of addiction. You can find more information on https://getkush.io/product-category/edibles/ and choose the product that suits you most.

HeatherFraser

Interesting to know!

Thanks! The pills can be used to eliminate the symptoms of dysfunction. But tremendous advances have been made, and CBD is now being used for a variety of health disorders. The body's system, known as the endocannabinoid system (ECS), interacts with CBD.  I tried it with https://highthc.shop/ and liked the results

Healing Finally

Hello all  :wave:

I was prescribed Adderall for ADHD, and have been taking the generic version of Adderall for over 10 years.  Thought to share that I have noticed that they do help me with my mood.

From this website: https://www.drugs.com/adderall.html - it states...

"Adderall contains a combination of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. Amphetamine and dextroamphetamine are central nervous system stimulants that affect chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to hyperactivity and impulse control."

It is very important to know that one can abuse them; and I have!  As an alcoholic, I only knew how to abuse drugs that made me feel better. 

BUT, after being sober for many years, I can now recognize when I've taken too much as I get super anxious and agitated. Since I don't like feeling this way, I now only take 2.5 MG (1/4th of a 10 MG pill) at a time, generally in the morning and afternoon, and it's just enough to help me to move forward if I'm in a total mood of procrastination.

Also, thought to add that taking sativa cannabis gummies can help with my mood as well.  ;D

Be well y'all!  :grouphug: