Insomnia and Nightmares

Started by Dragiow9927, September 08, 2017, 03:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragiow9927

I have chronic insomnia, I am up late and can't stay asleep.  I have nightmares related to my c-ptsd and recently I have been having a recurrent one involving my 'mother'.  (I have haphephobia-fear of being touched)  In this dream, she is chasing me, trying to hug me.  She has her arms open and stretched out far in an attempt to touch me.  I always wake in a sweat right when she is about to touch me.

She is one of the only ones I am 'close' enough to get in a physical proximity which has the risk of accidental skin contact.  The thought of touch has become so extreme that I can barely sleep and essentially every moment I am keeping an eye on everyone to make sure I don't have a risk of being touched.

Doesn't help I had an episode of sleep paralysis during an attempt to fall asleep.

I am physically and mentally exhausted.  Does anyone have any tips for dealing with insomnia or haphephobia? (I don't think I'll ever rid myself of the nightmares)

AphoticAtramentous

Sorry to hear you're struggling with all this. :( It sounds terrible. Can't imagine how it must be to live with such a fear.
I don't have much experience with insomnia, my sleep problems are more just... sleeping and sleeping and sleeping until I only have 12 hours in my day left. lol
I've heard though that exercise during the day can really help you to go to sleep at night. Like, REALLY vigorous exercising - till you're about ready to collapse on the ground. That's worked for me in the past, where I've had really intense shifts at work and I come home and I fall asleep practically as soon as my head hits the pillow. Not sure if that works for everyone but it seems to be a common remedy for some.
Hope it eases up for you soon!

Three Roses

Melatonin helps me sleep, but I'm not sure if it's strong enough for chronic insomnia. There are yoga exercises for sleep, and I think sound therapy might help. I usually have something like Steve Roach or Drifting In Silence playing while I sleep.

Hope you find some relief soon!
:heythere:

Candid

Quote from: AphoticAtramentous on September 08, 2017, 05:08:52 AM
I don't have much experience with insomnia, my sleep problems are more just... sleeping and sleeping and sleeping until I only have 12 hours in my day left.

Apparently too much sleep can be as bad (or worse) than insomnia.  Too much sleep makes us tired!

I find the whirr of an electric fan beside my bed helps... but not in winter, obviously.

Digitality

I'm really sorry that you have to struggle with insomnia and nightmares. How are you feeling right now? I think I have a relapse of insomnia and panic attacks...I know for myself how difficult this period is but I try not to forget that this will end. Personally, I was helped by a psychologist and some pills( I will not name them because this is a quite dangerous medication). The most difficult moment in my treatment was the realization that I can't sleep without weed and that it's definitely time to change something.  These were really hard times for me and my health.