Guideline Reminder - Giving Advice

Started by Kizzie, August 07, 2017, 03:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

Hi Everyone - As many of you know (and some newer members may not know), often the Mod Squad/I will post reminders here if posts are straying from a particular guideline.  Today's reminder is about giving advice:

Giving Advice

OOTS is a confidential peer support group of men and women who are dealing with CPTSD.  We are not mental health professionals, and don't offer this board as a substitute for professional assistance.  Any advice given or received here should be taken in that context.

While we encourage members to support and encourage others in their recovery, it is important to remember that we are each here to work on our own recovery first and foremost.  Many of us with CPTSD have been trained to be caretakers and recovery for us involves resisting the temptation to do so here at OOTS.   

Feel free to share how you cope or have coped with various situations and to make suggestions (as long as they are phrased as such). That's the purpose of this forum, but please don't make blanket statements like "You *should* do this and that" based on what you think and/or have read in the resources about CPTSD.  Another person's situation may be very different from yours.  Often, people need to come to their own conclusions in their own time frame. We are all coming from different stages, situations, and backgrounds.   

If the Moderation Team sees a pattern of giving too much advice to others and not focusing on one's own recovery, the member will be warned and if the behaviour persists, possibly banned.

Tks for following the guideline!

Candid

Tks for that last line, Kizzie. I've been aware of wandering close to the line recently. I'll be more cautious if I've actually crossed it.

NTS: Boundaries!

Kizzie

LOL, I wander close to the line sometimes so the reminder is as much for me as anyone.  :whistling: