Timing & CPTSD

Started by katiecg, July 22, 2017, 02:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katiecg

I created this poll too help myself and others see that even though we may have been struggling with CPTSD for a long time, we are not alone in that.

Candid

There are quite a few over-50s here whose primary abusegivers set us on the road to *!

Libby12

Yes, candid.  I am in the over 50 age group and believe my trauma began before I was born, due to my mother's family history and damage to her.  She would never admit it,  but I really think I am right.   Is there something particular about our parents generation that had led to so much pain?

Katie- I am new to the concept of c-ptsd but am not sure when the damage first manifested.  Perhaps I will be able to pin point it as I learn more. An interesting question,  though.

Libby.

songbirdrosa

Libby, I'm rather like you. My C-PTSD stems from problems in my family from before I was even thought of, but I only became aware of the condition earlier on this year. I got through 8 other diagnoses before they figured out what was wrong!

I believe for me, if this helps clarify things, that my symptoms first started manifesting when I was around 12-13. I'm 26 now so it's been a significant issue for about half my life and it's gotten worse over the years. Though, as I said, the damage started long before that.

clarity

It may be my whole life due to NM having severe pnd first 2 yrs of my life. With already her own cptsd and narcissism,  a traumatic birth..woahhh...I just realised something. She has always blamed the hospital and midwife for that but likely it was to a large extent brought on by her self pitying tendency and need for attention??  Oh gosh. I always felt sorry for her as the victim in it.  Now v confused. Her inability to bond with me ... has she been transferring the blame yet again? 
Anyway...my cptsd showed up for sure aged 8 when I was bullied at school....so thats a grand total of 42 years with this goop.

Kizzie

Good idea (the poll) Katie, I've been thinking of adding some myself.  (Note: I should mention that there is no way I, the Mods or anyone else can check who answered what in these polls so your anonymity is assured.)

I am turning 61 in a couple of weeks and have had CPTSD since about age 5 I'd guess.  Took a lot of us a very long time to get diagnosed/self-diagnose, so I'm relieved to see new members figuring things out/being diagnosed much earlier on.   

Blueberry

Multi-generational trauma in the family here too. I've been in therapy and healing for a couple of, um, decades. In between therapies continuing on with healing on my own. Never seems to end. More and more comes up. But it has been getting better.

I felt definitely abnormal by the time I was 7 (I can remember wondering to myself what was 'wrong' with me and why my parents didn't seem to want me), was self-harming by about 8 or 9 and was dissociating by the time I was 11. I'm approaching 50. I've known about CPTSD and my having it for quite a few years now but had trouble finding adequate treatment and even docs who believed me and didn't diagnose it as something else.

2 1/4 years now with a really good outpatient T and am making a lot of progress.