Just booked myself on to a yoga course!

Started by Rainydaze, July 20, 2017, 08:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainydaze

Massive step for me as I'm VERY socially anxious and have been avoiding group situations or anything remotely social for years. My heart was racing wildly just sending the email to book it! :doh: I'm hoping that doing something relaxing in a room full of people might calm my nervous system a bit, you never know.  :Idunno:

Eyessoblue

Good for you, I was recommended restorative yoga or kundalini yoga which helps with trauma I've yet to do either but am intending too at some point.

sanmagic7

congrats!!!  well done.  i hope it's all you're looking for.  big hug.

Rainydaze

Thanks!  :bigwink:

Quote from: Eyessoblue on July 21, 2017, 02:49:01 PM
Good for you, I was recommended restorative yoga or kundalini yoga which helps with trauma I've yet to do either but am intending too at some point.

Ah cool, I'm going to be doing Forrest yoga which sounds similar. I think it was developed as a way of easing trauma, anxiety and all that goes with it. I like the idea of it as I think I'll feel less out of place than normal!

Phoebes

That's wonderful, Blues! Enjoy it to the max!

ricepen22

Depending upon lots of different things (mainly atmosphere) yoga can realise a lot of built up emotion. I don't want to put you off, as its excellent therapy, but I don't want you too be shocked if you feel like crying during yoga. And then never return. A friend of mine no depression of any kind cried during her first yoga session. I have cried during yoga sessions. I've also seen people well up.

Putting a bit of lavender or rosemary oil on your rist works a treat if you are worried about expressing your self in front of others. Just give it a sniff when you feel like welling up, plus oils go with yoga vibe lol.

Also schedule a bit of space after.

Rainydaze

Thank you, I've done a few practices from YouTube and there have been a couple where I cried. It wouldn't surprise me if I get emotional, not used to doing it in public though! I have a lavender spray so I will take your advice and spritz some on my wrist beforehand.  :yes: :bigwink:

Rainydaze

I went to the first class last night and wow, I see what you mean, ricepen22. I felt terrible all day before the class because I get so anxious in social situations and was working myself up. I was really tense and finding it difficult to relax into poses. There was one where my teacher came round and stroked my neck to encourage me to relax into the pose more and how I didn't cry I don't know! Also at the end in corpse pose she came round to me personally, adjusted my limbs and massaged places where I was tense. She was so kind. I didn't even realise I could relax further or that I was so tense but I obviously struggle to let my guard down even when I consider myself to be on low alert. It was really a spiritual experience overall and has made me question how I'm going to start letting my guard down and further acknowledging the pain and fear I always carry with me. It's really made me question whether I should be brave and pursue therapy, but one step at a time. Doing something like this for myself has felt like a big milestone.  :)

AphoticAtramentous

Man, you make me want to get into yoga now, that sounds amazing. Haha!
I'm really glad you could do this for yourself. :) Sounds really good.