How do you deal with "regular" flashbacks

Started by writetolife, July 16, 2017, 06:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

writetolife

Lately, my flashbacks have been expanding from the realm of EFs to include sensory flashbacks, too.  At least, I think that's what they are.  My therapist has referred to them as both.  My mind has been flashing to very immersive-feeling memories.  It's not like the movies, where you don't know where or when you are.  But I can feel myself being put into still scenes of experiences and I experience a lot of emotion that go along with them.

Anyway, whatever they are, do any of the rest of you experience them?  How do you deal with them.  This is more or less new territory for me, and while they aren't as disruptive as EFs are for me, they're still pretty unsettling. 

Three Roses

Yes, I can relate. For me, the visual fragments were the precursor to regaining lost memories. I was not in therapy or anything at the time these memories were coming back to me, and the re-acquisition of them threw me into a deeper depression that I'm just now crawling out of, with the help of this forum, and now a good therapist. Please be careful. :hug:

Elphanigh

I can relate as well. I get both sensory flashbacks, and emotional flashbacks. Recently, I have realized just how often EFs happen in my life.  With sensory flashbacks grounding techniques become exceedingly important. Things like distraction and meditation don't tend to work with them.

For me, I have to get my senses activated by things in the present moment, it is the only way that I don's lose myself into one where I don't know where are I and such. It is my experience that smell, and taste work quicker than touch, sight, and sound. Those three are important but not as effective for me personally. So I deal with my with a warm cup of tea I can hold (takes care of three senses) or if I don't have that, I carry mints on me that help with taste.

My therapist also suggested something that has worked well for me. It helps to take the time to point out five things in your vicinity. The goal is to pick two close to you, and then three getting farther and farther in the distance of your vision. I think the theory is that it makes you concentrate and full ground you where you are. It also helps, for me, stop the visual parts of a sensory flashback.

I really hope that helps. I have experienced them and EFs a lot in my life

writetolife

Thank you both for making me feel a little less crazy.  You know, it's hard getting used to a new CPTSD symptom and very disorienting. 

Elphanigh, I will definitely try the things you've said (or at least try to remember.  I sort of freeze up.)

Three Roses, that sounds awful.  Thank you for your care.  I do have a T I'm working with, thank goodness.  I will definitely be careful, though I don't know if there's anything I can do to stop or halt this process.

Elphanigh

writetolife, I am always glad to help. I started having these when I was about 13 or 14... I am now 23, so I have a lot of tricks if you ever need them just let me know.

What I have found to be helpful, because I do freeze up as well, is to have a written list of things to do when it happens. I carry it on me and have one at my house as well. Then I have a friend that I gave the list to so if I am ever really bad she can remind me of what needs to be done. If you have something to look at and a list of things that will help you physically;y there is might help you unfreeze a little. Then you don't have to think through what you need, you already told yourself by writing the list when you were feeling well. That trick has been a lifesaver for me. I also don't feel like I need the list as much anymore, it helps it become habit.