Reframing pain

Started by clarity, July 10, 2017, 07:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarity

Just musings on emotional pain... that our relationship and thoughts about the hurt contribute hugely to our suffering. I tend to live with it as if it is 'bad/weak/shouldn't be there/is an illness' etc ( often internally agreeing with abusers attitudes) and forget that the pain is the healing process in action.

Am going to try and see the pain that way..as allowing it without habitually fighting with it brings relief of a sort.

When I exercise and muscles hurts/ache afterwards I think 'oh good that means something positive is happening as a result of my efforts'.  My efforts to heal hurt too! And thats ok....and means the same....I am getting stronger, healthier.

ToreyP

I think that's a really good way of looking at.  Recovery certainly is a process and pain is likely going to be a part, if not a large part, of that process. 

I think that sometimes we may feel guilty when we experience pain or look backwards/slip into negative thought patterns again after starting therapy or medication - as though we should be able to simply "flick a switch" (as many people who have not experienced trauma or mental illness seem to think) and be well.  Pain is not something we should bash or even forgive ourselves for experiencing - I certainly believe that it is a normal part of healing.

sanmagic7

i like torey's reply.  i agree, pain is part of the process.  i think you hit on a really pos. perspective, clarity.  well done.

Dee

I really like how you put that.  I add it to my healthy coping tool box.  Something to remind myself when I feel overwhelmed.  Thanks!

Elphanigh

Clarity, I am going to write that down and remember it. Thank you for sharing, I truly needed to hear that today. I am so glad you found a positive way to look at it all