Hello From South Australia *Possible Triggers*

Started by ToreyP, July 07, 2017, 05:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToreyP

Hi, all;

I'm happy to have found this place.  I have suffered for many years and was diagnosed with C-PTSD this year after extensive therapy. 

In a nutshell, I live in South Australia (migrated from the US, originally from Louisiana - no longer a US citizen) with my wife and our five animals (two cats, a Rainbow Lorikeet and two spoiled ducks). 

Concerning my diagnosis, my psychologist stated that I had "the most substantial and extensive history of trauma" she has ever been aware of.  I don't feel it's appropriate to go into details today, but my very long list of traumas, like many, began in childhood and unfortunately has continued until, most recently, 2015.  I am hopeful that recovery may be a reality for me.  I struggle, but I'm glad to at least have some answers and light at the end of the tunnel.

Looking forward to learning new things from all of you here and hopefully helping to support others like me.

Cheers.

Candid

Welcome to the forum, Torey!

I too have a long history of trauma starting in infancy, and I believe early child abuse sets us up for more trauma because we don't learn how to keep ourselves safe and are usually instinct-injured as well. I try not to go into "if only I'd done this, if only I hadn't done that" because it keeps me stuck, but it's often truly a case of "If only I'd known all this decades ago..."

We can only begin where we're at now and keep reaching for a better life. This forum has been wonderful for me and I hope you have a great experience here, too.

Blueberry

:heythere: Welcome on here Torey!

Candid already wrote everything I wanted to say.

Hope to see you around the forum.
Blueberry

songbirdrosa

Hi Torey, welcome to the country! I'm from New South Wales :)

Just to echo Candid and Blueberry, it's great that you're here and reaching out. You're not alone here, many people have long stories of abuse, including me. But this place is so supportive and helpful, I've been making huge progress since being on here. I sincerely hope it can do the same for you.

clarity

Hi Torey
Welcome...not long since I joined here and its already making a big difference. May you gain and heal too... the journal thing is a good idea maybe when you feel ready.

I highly recommend Pete Walkers books if you have not read them.
:heythere:

Elphanigh

Hi Torey  :heythere:

I too will echo everyone. You are not alone here. Like others I also have a truly extensive history of trauma. I had a T tell me the exact same thing a few years ago, and I hadn't even told her 3/4ths of my trauma because I had yet to recognize all of it (I probably still haven't)

I truly hope this forum can lend you a helping hand, the people here are amazing in my experience

-Elphanigh

ToreyP

Hi, all.

Thank you so much for the warm and kind welcome and recommendations.  Looking forward to making some new friends here.  :thumbup:

Candid

I'll be your friend, Torey. I spent more than half my life moving up and down the east coast of Oz. Never made it to Adelaide but I have cousins there.

Kizzie

Welcome Torey   :heythere:   OK, I just have to know how you spoil a duck  :Idunno:

ToreyP

Quote from: Candid on July 09, 2017, 10:35:08 AM
I'll be your friend, Torey. I spent more than half my life moving up and down the east coast of Oz. Never made it to Adelaide but I have cousins there.

Thanks, Candid.  Hopefully one day you make it to Adelaide.  I live in the Hills, so no noisy city disturbances out here - just fresh air and some neighbourhood cows.  :wave:

Quote from: Kizzie on July 09, 2017, 02:11:05 PM
Welcome Torey   :heythere:   OK, I just have to know how you spoil a duck  :Idunno:

Haha well for our ducks it's lots of fresh greens, plenty of pats (very tame!) and I'm working on putting a new pond in for them in their sanctuary!

Kizzie

Oh to be a spoiled duck  ;D   

I just wanted to mention there is an excellent resource in Australia for survivors of childhood trauma called the Blue Knot Foundation you might want to have a look at - http://www.blueknot.org.au/

Kizzie