First day

Started by kezkel101, June 23, 2017, 06:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kezkel101

Hi,
This is my first proper day here. I have been recently diagnosed with Developmental trauma disorder which I have been told is very similar to CPTSD so I hope it is ok for me to be here.
Im in therapy twice a year with a therapist I have seen for around a year. If I'm honest I don't really feel like we are getting anywhere. I'm hoping that this forum will give me the opportunity to share experiences and advice with people who might get it

Three Roses

Hello! Welcome, kezkel101, yes you are definitely in the right place! :D

I have the official diagnosis of PTSD with MDD but I absolutely know I have Developmental Trauma Disorder. I do not remember a time in my life that was not chaotic and tense until the past few years.

I have learned so much being here, reading posts, watching recommended videos and reading recommended books. Since you say you've been in therapy but feel like you're not making progress like you'd hoped, may I recommend to you the book "The Body Keeps The Score"? It really answered so many questions for me.

Dig in, jump into threads, ask questions - you're one of us!  :wave:

writetolife

Welcome!

I'm glad you're here. 

I definitely thing you'll find people here who "get" it.  This was the first (*cough cough* only) place I've found where people really get it. Please do take care of yourself, though.  In the process of keeping up with all of the discussions and threads, and thinking so much about trauma, etc. it is possible really affect your mood.  I've learned that sometimes a person has to limit how much time they spend on here and even take breaks.  So, please do what's best for you. 

sanmagic7

hey, kezkel, welcome!  so glad you made it here.

this place has welcomed me warmly from the first day, even tho i had no specific diagnosis.  i knew i fit, tho, and it felt really good.  i've found the most caring, kind, and generous people here, and so much support.  they definitely 'get it'.

so, happy to have you with us.  roam around the grounds, post what you're comfortable with, and see what
you can learn.  jump in whenever you're ready.  your recovery, your pace. 

Kizzie

TinyRhino

Today is my first day. I'm guessing the community wont mind if you have a similar diagnosis.
The only kind of therapy that I have found helpful is attending twice a week for a duration of months/years.  Inconsistent therapy is rather ineffective in my opinion. I also found, after being very resistant to medications, that therapy coupled with an SSRI or medical/diet/exercise treatment is more effective.