Hello!! New here!!

Started by Michoacana, June 01, 2017, 08:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michoacana

Hi everyone,

It's such a pleasure to find this site!

I began reading The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk about two weeks ago and it opened my eyes to the devastating effects of childhood trauma, which I still experience today as a 31 year old woman in many different ways.

I am simply blown away that this is a diagnosis with many kinds of evidence-based treatments. Throughout my life, I thought I was just depressed and anxious, but now I am learning so much about myself and what childhood trauma has done to my brain, mind, and body. I just assumed that PTSD happened to "other" people who experienced a singular traumatic event that they could pin-point to one event, but not me, you know? But in reality, a long period of childhood trauma and abuse produces similar outcomes.

Now, I am focusing on learning more about C-PTSD and treatments. I ordered a C-PTSD workbook that will come in the mail and I have committed to a yoga practice. I have avoided talk therapy for many years but I think my next steps, in terms of mental and physical health, are to ask for trauma-informed treatments, including a trauma-informed therapist.

I'm really happy this space exists and to know that I'm not alone!

Many hugs to all  :hug:

JamesG

Bein Akkeri

That is such an amazing book! It made me feel like the things I experienced far after the trauma didn't just make me a freak. I am in the process of starting treatment at the Trauma Center he founded. Best of luck on your journey to heal.

Three Roses

And a hearty welcome to you, Bein Akkeri
:heythere:

Dee

Welcome!  It sounds like you are ready to work.  Know we are here to support you along your journey.

sanmagic7

welcome, and so glad you made it here.  stroll around the grounds, post when you're ready.  looking forward to getting to know you.  this place has been a treasure trove of kindness and caring for me.  hope you find what you're looking for as well.