more than one diagnosis

Started by silentrhino, June 01, 2017, 02:20:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silentrhino

Has anyone in therapy been told they have a co-occuring psych disorder and if so, would you be comfortable sharing what that was.  The T I've been seeing has been suggesting I have another disorder as well and I've been feeling re-traumatized and ashamed completely.

Blackbird

Oh yes. Hi! :wave:

I have Bipolar Disorder. First diagnosed with Schizophrenia, after years of telling my doctor I had problems with mood swings and he ignoring me saying they were situational, I went to another psychiatrist that diagnosed me with Bipolar. Later she realized there was something more, and her (working with my T) started treating me for CPTSD with a non pathologizing method, to clear all stigma in my head about having a label or several.

So far, I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia then bipolar, generalized anxiety disorder, ocd and ptsd. There was a period there that my old psychiatrist wanted to throw BPD into the mix, but my T says for sure it's not it. Now, bipolar and/or CPTSD. Depending on the research that comes out in the next few years and what will happen to the CPTSD diagnosis.

Honestly, I don't know which disorder they want to label you with, but I wouldn't worry too much about the label but the symptoms and if it has treatment.

Good luck.

Dee

I have been diagnosed with:

CPTSD
Anorexia
Major Depressive Disorder - recurring
Dissociative Disorder

My latest was Dissociative Disorder.  I struggled with it until I decided "who cares."  Seriously, at this point what does it matter?  At least they are trying to know what to treat.

silentrhino

I was diagnosed BPD, trying to come to come to terms with that and the shame that entails

Dee

No shame at all.  It is no difference than any other illness.  Should I be ashamed? 

I have never thought differently of anyone with BPD.  I just sometimes feel for them the same as I would feel for someone who struggles with any other illness.  It's hard, I feel for you, but not judgmental.

silentrhino

Thank you I appreciate that.  I am better now.  I am trying to understand I am not a terrible person but am so drained.