Need for Consistency

Started by Elphanigh, May 31, 2017, 11:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elphanigh

I am posting to see if anyone else finds themselves needing some consistency or structure in their life. I am finding currently, and have in the past, that I need a bit more consistency and structure to my life than others seem to. It is triggering for me to have too much clutter in my mind and having a constantly shifting environment really causes that for me.

Currently a ton of things are changing in my life, and I find myself wanting to ask for a little consistency from my partner and a close friend just to help level everything else out. I find myself way more easily overwhelmed and easily triggered right now. I feel bad asking for a bit more structure from them, but I need to figure out how to be coping better with all the change and just inconsistent life environment I am in right now. I have tried to create structure but there is so much going on in my life that is really hard to create right now.

Any one else feel this at all, or have suggestions on creating routine when everything is going crazy?

Three Roses

OMG yes!! If the last little thing is out of sequence in my morning routine, it all goes flying out the window! There doesn't even have to be stress or chaos involved.

Sometimes I carry a little stone in my pocket, to help ground me/remind me of something I want to remember. Could be anything - an appointment, a concept, anything.

If I was more successful at creating order in my own life I'd probably have more suggestions for you :rofl:

Elphanigh

Thank you for validating how I am feeling! I am glad to know it isn't just me and that this is okay.  I appreciate the suggestion with the stone, I should carry mine.

Haha I appreciate your honesty on this

Blackbird

Yes, definitely.  :stars:

But I do it one step at a time though. Maybe because my mother is extremelly neurotic, I deal well with situations of stress and try not to overwhelm myself. But when I do get overwhelmed, I take a deep breath and think "Baby steps, one foot at a time"

Since you're starting over at a new place and everything, maybe look for a routine you really like. Go for coffee at a certain place, eat something that makes you feel good, cook for yourself at dinner, look for good recipes, etc. Pamper yourself. :hug:

Elphanigh

Thank. I will try those. I really appreciate it :)

Kada

I relate to that.
I find that I need a certain routine or I don't get anything done. I can let go of it a bit when things are going better. But during the hard times it's something I can hold on to.
Also, I find it hard when people don't do what they say they were going to do (even though I understand that sometimes it just happens, something can come up unexpectedly) and they don't communicate about it clearly. It upsets me when people don't seem to remember what they said or promised. Sometimes I feel like I'm making too big a deal out of it, I don't know...

Elphanigh

Kada I struggle a great deal when people don't do what they say they will. I understand and relate to that some much. It is part of why I am struggling so much with consistency right now. Someone that is super important to me is being flaky and I know she is doing a lot right now but I ask for very little from her at the moment because of it. I need one day like 30 minutes of time.. It is hard when I am not given that.  :hug: :hug:

shoshannah

Quote from: Blackbird on June 01, 2017, 06:36:24 AM
Yes, definitely.  :stars:

But I do it one step at a time though. Maybe because my mother is extremelly neurotic, I deal well with situations of stress and try not to overwhelm myself. But when I do get overwhelmed, I take a deep breath and think "Baby steps, one foot at a time"

Since you're starting over at a new place and everything, maybe look for a routine you really like. Go for coffee at a certain place, eat something that makes you feel good, cook for yourself at dinner, look for good recipes, etc. Pamper yourself. :hug:

I love this, such good advice :)