Nocturnal panic attacks?

Started by Montys, May 21, 2017, 04:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montys

I keep waking up about after I go to sleep having a panic attack. They're always about the same thing: that I'm going to die and go to * forever. I have pretty bad death anxiety that started during my time spent in church (and I actually skipped going to church with my family today for reasons, anytime I'm home with them they force me to go). I've tried developing something to prevent myself from having anxiety attacks in the day but at night they always wake me up.

Is there anything I can do to stop them? I think they're related to the leftovers of religious abuse. I'm very tired and feel worn out today; outside of that panic attack, I was woken up three other times (at least I think, I'm not sure if my father, who's been gone for a week, actually woke me up or not).

Blueberry

Gee, that's tough. I'm not sure what to say. I have had nights when I refused to fall asleep because I was terrified of what would come in the night in nightmares. Nowadays I have trouble falling asleep without a light on in the room though not an overhead one. I'm wondering if something like that might help. Or if during or after the panic attack you can self-talk: I'm safe now. The past is over... That kind of thing. Or if you have contact with Inner Children, explain to them that the past is over, they're safe now with you.

What about self-care before you go to sleep? Can you concentrate on safe, good things? I used to write my Book of Daily Joys, which is like the Three Good Things A Day thread, in bed at night before I went to sleep. I'd read back in it too. That's why it's important you write only good joyful things in this one space so you can concentrate on that without interference from what might cause anxiety/panic/sadness....

Is there anything symbolic you could take to bed with you that would remind you as fast as possible if not immediately that you're safe now? A small toy dog, wolf, bear, lion, tiger to protect you and your Inner Children. It might not function immediately but if you work on the relationship with this animal, that can help a lot. Also it can work as an 'anchor' in the present, as can other links to the 5 Senses like grabbing hold of a spikey massage ball or tasting some hot chilli pepper, so I've heard at least, I haven't actually done it. Or smelling something strong but not unpleasant or triggering for you. You'd need it right next to your bed within very easy reach.

I have more anxiety attacks than full-blown panic attacks so it's possible I'm suggesting things you can't actually do in a panic attack. Please excuse my ignorance if that's the case.

Three Roses

I read this earlier but couldn't think of anything - but what about some lavender by your bedside? You would be inhaling the scent while you were sleeping, and i lavender is very calming (it has a very soothing effect on me). Let us know what works! :)

alchemist

I go to sleep and if I have not taken my sleeping pill I wake up in a panic one hour to three hours later .  I wake up and I am not breathing and since it is dark I have to figure out where I am I am disoriented for a moment because I was dreaming.  It is awful and part of trauma.  I have had it for years.  It only happens if I do not take my sleeping medicine.  It is very frightening.   But only because I am not breathing.