Stage fright

Started by Frothed out, May 18, 2017, 06:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frothed out

Hello,

I am new here.  I have been dealing with an uNPDw.  I managed to entertain the idea of myself having symptoms of CPTSD.  I would like to know if the fear of public speaking, as well as a buildup of anxiety when entering public situations( like attending school functions for my children, or funerals/weddings,etc.) are symptoms.   Also (I am embarassed to admit) I do not have the ability to urinate at a urinal unless the room is empty.  If I'm in mid stream and someone bangs on the door, I involuntarily stop.

Once I am comfortable with a given situation, the anxiety subsides.  I have avoided attending events because of the feeling of anxiety.

Thanks for any response,

Froth

Three Roses

Hello and welcome! This disorder takes on a life of its own in each of us; symptoms can be unique to each of us.

If you think these are symptoms for you, you're right. :)

Thanks for joining  :heythere:

Kizzie

Hi Froth - Social anxiety is definitely a symptom for many of us with CPTSD.  Mine was quite bad but has improved with talk therapy, taking a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy course online, a change in meds, and posting here.

I don't know if you have read Pete Walker's book (CPTSD: From Surviving to Thriving) but he talks about having days when he would not take out the garbage lest he run into his "always kindly neighbour" because he felt so vulnerable and anxious. He is a therapist in the US who has CPTSD and treats people for the disorder.  Great book because he knows both sides.  He has a web site here - http://www.pete-walker.com/  if you want to have a look. 

Kizzie

Blueberry

Quote from: Frothed out on May 18, 2017, 06:18:41 PM
Also (I am embarassed to admit) I do not have the ability to urinate at a urinal unless the room is empty.  If I'm in mid stream and someone bangs on the door, I involuntarily stop.
Thanks for any response,

I've always had a lot of physical reactions to emotional problems. Some of it was psychosomatic pain and general body weakness and tiredness, but there have been other physical reactions too. This CPTSD beast takes many forms. I think it is quite possible that your problem with urinating in public is trauma-induced, especially since you involuntarily stop.

Welcome on here  :heythere: 

Frothed out

Quote from: Kizzie on May 19, 2017, 02:45:02 PM
Hi Froth - Social anxiety is definitely a symptom for many of us with CPTSD.  Mine was quite bad but has improved with talk therapy, taking a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy course online, a change in meds, and posting here.

I don't know if you have read Pete Walker's book (CPTSD: From Surviving to Thriving) but he talks about having days when he would not take out the garbage lest he run into his "always kindly neighbour" because he felt so vulnerable and anxious. He is a therapist in the US who has CPTSD and treats people for the disorder.  Great book because he knows both sides.  He has a web site here - http://www.pete-walker.com/  if you want to have a look. 

Kizzie

Thanks Kizzie,

I believe I have the mildest case of this, where I will avoid perfectly normal situations, because of some unknown teasing or berating I may get.  Ironically I married an undiagnosed covert Narcissist wife, so anywhere besides here should be better.

Froth