lessons learned from the trauma unit

Started by Dee, May 02, 2017, 10:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee

I spent two months in an acute care trauma clinic.  It honestly saved my life.

I did every kind of therapy that they offered, and I think some they didn't.

I recommend getting a DBT workbook.  Learning how to identify and tolerate our feelings is huge.  My favorite concept was radical acceptance.  It is what it is.  That allows me to accept today while I work through the past.  For me it means even IF I made mistakes I can work on them while I accept being okay with today.

EMDR - it really works.  It worked so well for me I am unsure I could do it outpatient.  AND, I was always in control.

I made a list of positive coping responses that I could look at and do when I was struggling.  Anything from breathing, coloring, movies, to moving and making new friends.

I identified my relapses behaviors, what triggers them, how I feel, and how to challenge the thought.  For example if I think "I am a bad person" I can challenge it with "I am no more or less than other people."

I'll write more as time goes, but I wanted to get something out there now.  It was such an amazing program, I found hope.

radical

Really happy for you, Dee.
Thanks for letting us know what worked for you.

Contessa

Fantastic Dee!
You are the master :)
Look forward to reading more about these strategies.

Three Roses

Glad you're back, glad you're feeling better ♡♡♡

Blueberry

Eyessoblue

Hi Dee, I'm so pleased you're ok, I have been thinking about you a lot and hoping you got great results which it sounds like you did :
I would be especially interested in hearing more about your EMDR treatment as that is my next line of treatment in my plan, it's something I'm really not that keen on doing but have been convinced that it is the way forward for me. Keep being strong, you sound so positive, really pleased for you.

Dee

Wife#2

Dee! I'm so glad to see you again!  ::: Wife2 does her silly, happy dance :::

Oh, I'm so glad to read that you are in such a great place right now! We've all been thinking of you, hoping this was what it turned out to be!

Yes, that's a lot of exclamation points, but I just can't seem to tone down my enthusiasm that you are getting better and that the facility was exactly what you needed it to be.

Precious Dee, welcome back. Thank you for being willing to share what you learned.

Eyessoblue

Thank you so much Dee that is so helpful.

sanmagic7

dee, how wonderful for you on so many levels.  thanks for sharing.  you positively brightened my day.  may you continue on this beautiful path which you've begun.  love and hugs, sweetie!