Just starting out

Started by songbirdrosa, April 11, 2017, 02:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

songbirdrosa

Hi everyone! I'm not usually one to do this sort of thing, but I just got diagnosed with C-PTSD today and I'm feeling rather apprehensive about what's ahead of me, and very emotionally turbulent too. Talking about it with my psychologist has really stirred up some long buried issues, so I guess I'd just like some help from other people who know what I'm going through right now. Does any one have general advice for how to cope in the early stages of therapy? I know I've got a long, hard road to recovery, and I wanna start out the best way I can.

Three Roses

First of all, welcome songbirdrosa! Thanks for joining.

For me, informing myself was the first step. I am leery of people and the information they want me to believe, so I looked at many different sources to get an objective overview.

It is very important that you move through this at your own pace and not rush things.

A reliable source for this stuff is Pete Walker, who has a website: http://pete-walker.com

This forum has a Resources section with info you can print out and take to doctors therapists, etc: http://www.outofthestorm.website/downloads/

And don't be shy about jumping into threads to make comments or ask questions. We're here for you! :hug:

Kizzie

:yeahthat:  Hi and a very warm welcome to you  Rosa   :heythere:  Three Roses has given you some great ideas, especially about going at your own pace as it can be quite tiring to look at long buried trauma.

Please have a good look around as there are lots of information and resources that can help.  Glad you found your way here  :hug:   

Blueberry

Welcome here, songbirdrosa! Just wanted to say 'Hi!'. ThreeRoses and Kizzie have already given you introductory information.

lostsoul

Hi!  I don't have any advice.  I am new to this as well, but wanted to say "Welcome!".   :)

killingGiants

Hello Songbirdrosa; With all of my painfully personal insight, and the fact that I am relatively new in 'starting again' on my path, First and foremost be true to your self... Fear is a b*, and we all face it... For "everyone" with this forum, do you know how very Courageous you are :bigwink:  I do not 'do' this type of sharing either, yet here I am... We 'know'... we 'share'... and we 'support' one another... Pretty cool really, thank you for sharing, and I look forward to sharing with this forum's  members. L ;)