emdr

Started by silentrhino, March 22, 2017, 12:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silentrhino

Has anyone had emdr as a treatment, my therapist suggested it but I don't know anything about it or what to expect

Eyessoblue

Hi, have a look on YouTube there are quite a lot of talks on there about it, I was also offered it but have turned it down for now as I don't feel I can cope with it, I know it can be very successful for some but also not so good for others, I've also heard that people who have suffered from multiple traumas like myself tend not to be good candidates for it, but obviously it's entirely up to you in whatever you decide is beneficial for you. There are also a lot of books on it on amazon if you wanted to read up about it.

mourningdove

What little bit of EMDR I have been able to do has been helpful. Unfortunately, it's been so long ago now that I wouldn't do it justice if I tried to describe it. It's nothing to be afraid of, though. It's mostly just bilateral stimulation while you think about things, and you will have worked out methods beforehand with the therapist to contain anything overwhelming that might come up in the process. When it works, it's amazing. I only stopped doing it because derealization and depersonalization kept getting in the way for me after a while.

Of course, good results depend on having a therapist who follows the protocol and with whom you feel safe. I mention that because I have tried it with two therapists that did not fit that description, and it didn't work.

lambchop

I was in the dark and skeptical about it too. Therapists have proposed for me but I've been reluctant to try or trust something I don't fully understand. I purchased the book "Getting Past Your Past" written by Dr Francine Shapiro who originated the method. She does a great job describing the technique and providing examples. I'm only half way through and haven't been able to form a decision as to whether I'm willing to give it a try. So far all her examples have been success stories. Perhaps she'll site examples of when/why it didn't work on some to provide a more balanced perspective.

Candid

Quote from: lambchop on April 29, 2017, 10:11:09 AM
Perhaps she'll site examples of when/why it didn't work on some to provide a more balanced perspective.

I doubt it.

It seems to depend a lot on the practitioner. The one I saw had a boundaries issue and it did nothing for me.

sanmagic7

the relationship with the therapist is crucial with emdr or any other form of therapy.  a good trauma therapist who utilizes emdr will move slowly so as not to retraumatize you.   you can start with something small, see how that goes, begin getting used to the process before you move on to bigger, more emotionally charged memories/thoughts/feelings.

i am an emdr therapist, and believe in it.  the main thing to remember is that you are in control of your therapy and your recovery.  you can say stop when you want.  the good therapist will set you up so that you have resources, a place of safety or calm in which you can go to in your mind if things get too intense, and will be totally tuned into what is best for you at all times, including inviting you to let him/her know if you'd had enough for the day.

one thing i recommend is that anyone going thru emdr therapy keep a journal of things that come up between sessions, or to record dreams.  this is a trauma-healing therapy, which means that your brain will be making changes so that memories of past traumas cease to pack such a 'punch' that they continue to interfere with your life.

you can also ask your therapist any and all questions you have about it, have it explained to you so you're not so in the dark about it, and find out if s/he is knowledgable about c-ptsd and multiple layers of traumas.  that should help you feel more at ease.

i hope any of this is helpful.  my best to you with this, silentrhino.  big hug.

Eyessoblue

I'm on my second appointment with a trauma/EMDR therapist. All is well at the moment but I am worried about how much I disassociate and wonder if EMDR is going to work she has given me being in a safe place homework but I literally disappear from it within a couple of seconds. But I'll see, she is lovely and I feel comfortable so that is a good start!

Shooting Star

I have done EMDR now about 15+ times in the last 9 months. I have used it to heal from developing PTSD in my job and also to heal from recently recalled memory of abuse I suffered as a child. I found it to be very helpful with intrusive memories, hard to described and ID feeling of fear, dread and panic.  MY last session of EMDR was about a month ago.