Recommend a book on developing social skills

Started by EverPure, March 21, 2017, 12:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EverPure

I've realised in my journey that a lack of this is what keeps me isolated and I've decided this is the bridge I need to building a healthy support network around myself. Can anyone suggest good authors for this subject. I feel as if my upbringing left me very shortchanged in that regard.

radical

Hi EverPure and welcome,,
I found this site useful: http://www.succeedsocially.com/articleshelpingothers
It doesn't go into why we are socially anxious, but there is a reasonable smorgasboard of helpful articles on strategies etc.
I hope you find it useful.
I also have a workbook called "overcoming social anxiety', I'd have to dig it out to find who wrote it.  I found it worthwhile to go through the exercises.

All the best

EverPure

Thanks I will check it out. And that was the book I was checking out on Amazon too!

I want to clarify though, for others who may offer advice that I'm not at all shy, in fact I worked for 10yrs in a people facing job. My problem is more about connecting with people rather than turning them off very quickly which seems to be more my issue. I have habits which are obvious red flags to others but I'm blind to.

But off to check out that website all the same.

Wanttothrive

I too tend to say things that are socially awkward. I'd be curious to know if there are other resources.

Wanttothrive

Me too. Either I'm attracting people who are unhealthy or I push people away. Following in hopes that someone will have suggestions.

radical

I know what you mean.
I'm over the worst of my social anxiety, but have difficulty connecting with people.  I'll just keep plugging away at spending time with new people and learning how to make friends with healthy people.  It's been much easier for me to befriend less healthy people and find rapid but illusory codepent connections.

It's hard to be with people without a feeling of connection.  I come away feeling lonely.

Marie

This is a great website i use it a lot i find it very help full & it is full of useful info :)

https://www.skillsyouneed.com

Rainydaze

I highly recommend 'How I Overcame Social Anxiety: An Introvert's Guide to Recovering From Social Anxiety, Self-Doubt and low Self-Esteem' by Tobias Atkins. It's written in a very down to earth style by a man who used to have severe social anxiety but overcame it.

I salute you for wanting to improve your social skills, I'm just the same and know how it feels.  :hug: