Codependency Triggered by The spartan life coach

Started by hurtbeat, March 15, 2017, 08:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

89abc123

I don't think he's ever claimed to be a narcissist.

I don't know why so many people accuse him of being a narcissist but that's my point about the obsession I guess.

It doesn't matter who Richard grannon is as a person. His courses are amazing and have changed my life. He has so many great points that I find myself constantly re-watching old videos. His discipline course was incredibly powerful for me.

Rainydaze

I would hope that Richard Grannon is able to distance himself from Sam Vaknin if he started to feel under threat. I watched Vaknin in the documentary 'I, Psychopath' the other day and his treatment of the documentary maker was disgusting. I feel unsafe watching that man. I also saw a video he had made with his wife where people were commenting that they made an adorable couple and obviously really loved each other... :blahblahblah: :blahblahblah: :blahblahblah: Vulnerable people can so easily be taken in by him, even when he openly says he's a narcissist/psychopath.

ah

Just my two cents... about Sam Vaknin and narcissistic traits in abuse survivors.

When I started looking for information about narcissists and emotional abuse I looked him up, and I felt really uncomfortable for a few reasons. First is the glaring contradiction in what he says: I'm a self-absorbed narcissist, and look, I'm here to help you! Oh, c'mon... if you're the first, you're not the second. If you're the second, then you're not the first. Make up your mind, they're mutually exclusive. I think it's best to stay away, whether he fits the diagnostic criteria for a narcissist or not. He can flunk every personality test and I'd still think someone who wants to be seen in that light is not a safe person for me, full stop.

Another reason I felt uncomfortable is how cynical it seems. A person like that "giving advice" to people hurt by narcissists? Nah. Best stay away. I wouldn't come near such a person with a very veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long stick.

But I've been abused the world over by psychopaths and narcissists, so I have no soft spot for them. A few years ago I may have found what he thinks fascinating, I'd really want to "get him" but I've changed, I'm really interested in what they *do* because I sincerely want people to be safe. I want them to not use others and no one to be hurt. But picking their brains... nope. I'd much rather pick the brains of empathic, kind people.

As for narcissistic traits in empathic people who were abused, I don't know enough about it but my personal feeling is we can sometimes adopt narcissistic behaviors because it's what we saw and imitated in childhood, but that doesn't make us narcissists. For me, my emotional baseline (even when I'm really anxious and miserable) is empathic. Using people makes me very uneasy and if I do it I feel very bad. Hence, not a narcissist at all. It's the motivation that counts.

Hope this doesn't complicate things even further. :)