Hello/Intro

Started by OnceHadMoxie, February 13, 2017, 09:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OnceHadMoxie

Hello everyone. I'm glad to be here, but of course not glad about my diagnosis that brought me here.
I'm not really sure where to post - I read that there is a section for ppl who developed CPTSD in childhood and one for ppl who developed it in adulthood. I feel like I maybe fall into both categories bc I developed PTSD (not complex) in childhood due to abuse, but just recently got diagnosed in adulthood with COMPLEX PTSD. Approx 10-15 years ago, I spent 7 years in weekly therapy sessions recovering from my PTSD from my youth.
My recent CPTSD diagnosis stems from the stress of my current situation of living with my husband who has Borderline Personality Disorder. People with Borderline Disorder constantly create chaos in their relationships. It's like living with Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. Emotional/psychological abuse is just part of the package, as is complete unpredictability as to who he will be from day to day.
I am physically disabled, unable to work, and completely financially & physically dependent on him, and therefore unable to leave the relationship. Living with such instability & emotional abuse has brought back my PTSD from my youth, although it is now diagnosed as complex bc of years of enduring this abuse. Disclaimer: We dated for 2 years before we married & it wasn't until shortly after the wedding that his personality disorder traits were revealed. We have been together for 5 1/2 years and married for 3 1/2.
I currently see a psychiatrist (who diagnosed me) & have weekly appointments with a psychologist. Most days I'm pretty ok, but then I have days like today where I feel completely paralyzed with panic, anxiety & fear.
Not sure where I should post. Any suggestions?
Thank you for listening.

mourningdove

Welcome, OnceHadMoxie!  :wave:

I'm so sorry you are stuck in an abusive situation. :(

I think you could post in whatever forum seems more appropriate to you. I would think that the ongoing situation with your husband would go in the adult section, but I'm not sure. The mods can easily move a thread that they feel is in the wrong place, so it's probably not a big deal which one you pick.

Sorry you are hurting, but glad that you are here!

Three Roses

Welcome to the forum, OnceHadMoxie!

I'd like to weigh in on the issue of whether your CPTSD was caused by childhood or adult-age abuse you suffered. It's common for people to misunderstand the meaning of "complex" PTSD. Complex means that there were multiple, not more complicated, traumatic injuries. You could say PTSD is simple PTSD, not because it's more simple but because there was a single event that caused traumatic injury to the brain.

If you sustained more than one abusive or traumatic incident in childhood, it's entirely possible that that is where your c-ptsd originates.

In any case, I'm less concerned with what sub-board people post on and more concerned with everyone being able to talk about their cptsd-related issues here. :D  As mourningdove said, it's easy to move a post.

I'm so sorry to hear you are hurting; but I'm glad this forum exists for people like us, to give us different ideas how to handle our disorder. So thank you for joining and posting! :wave: