Good news after the ( another) storm

Started by Boatsetsailrose, January 31, 2017, 07:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boatsetsailrose

Today has been the best day for what feels like a long time .. I was actually smiling , really smiling .

3 things - I have an appointment with the psychiatrist and my old trauma therapist works for the same service now, so they are going to ask her to input . This means I may get a diagnosis, I may get some longer term treatment :)

I now have an occupational health review at work and my union rep said I may have faced discrimination from the process I've been in and I may be able to make a claim ( not getting too excited about that .. but I am grateful for the support I am getting

And also the best news I've had in a long time.. I was told by someone about a charity who does long term work with cptsd and I am self referring to it. The women on the phone said I am very much the person they help and they seem so good ! Also the guy who told me about the service said the same .
They do 1-1 for a year and also longer term group work to continue after ..
And it's free !
I can't believe this service exists !!

I've got so much help in only 2 meetings from 12 step acoa - I'd recommend to go to a meeting it has really helped me gain such useful information

Feeling grateful

Eyessoblue

That's so good to hear. I had a psychiatrist appointment today which was a lot harder than I thought it would be, he asked me a lot of very difficult (as in a triggering way) questions which took me back and stirred up a lot of questions for me. He has said that he doesn't want to either up or change my medication as I've been on it for a long time, but he said he wants to put me down for as much psychological work that he can which which will include cbt, EMDR AND Trauma related work with a therapist, I asked how long I had to wait and he said he will do everything within his power to get me seen asap, so I too at last am feeling positive. Can I ask you what the charity is that you are self referring to please. Glad to hear you're smiling!

Boatsetsailrose

Hi eyes so blue
Really good to hear your news
May I ask what did he ask about symptoms because I find it really hard to verbalise what I experience ..
Sorry to hear it was triggering , yes I find that when anyone asks about the past
Are u in the uk ? I think I remember you are in the south east
It's so good to finally get some where with services hey :)

Boatsetsailrose

The charity is 'the southmead project '
Not sure why I can't post a link ?

woodsgnome

:cheer: Always is so good to hear this sort of thing. Finding any even keel while traveling these pathways out of troubled times is a huge plus. It's a struggle with unintended byways sometimes, but I love hearing this sort of thing and hope you'll find some new peace on these new paths.   :hug:

Eyessoblue

Hi, the psychiatrist asked me first of all how I was feeling at this moment in time, what my main symptom was, I said it was how low I felt, I felt as if my depression had taken over me and my medication is no longer working. He then asked what other symptoms I had, I named the flashbacks and nightmares which he asked a lot of questions about such as how old was I in them, what the main memory and feeling attached with them was. He then asked me lots of questions about when the sexual abuse started, how did I cope with it as a child, how do I cope with it now, we then talked about the physical and mental abuse asked me again about feelings connected with it and how I cope with it now. He then talked a lot about alcohol and how much I drunk as I come from a family of alcoholics, he commented that I looked very ashamed of how much I drunk in my life (although I wasn't aware of feeling ashamed). He asked me about coping skills, talked a lot about bipolar but then switched to talking about ptsd, he then said he wanted to talk to a 'team' about me so he could get me the psychological help I needed and was I happy for him to share my information with them. He's a strong believer that although medication helps me it will not sort the problems out and wanted me to stay where I was with it as the psychological work will help me, still not sure who the team are or where I'm going to start with it all, I'm supposed to be receiving a phone call today but have heard nothing yet. Thank you for the info about the charity I will look it up. Today is horrible as I've been totally triggered by questions he asked me and lay awake most of the night going over it. Hope you're still ok, yes I'm in the south east.

Boatsetsailrose

Thank you woods gnome

Thank you eyes so blue for sharing, it's really good to hear and that you are going to be offered psychological help and support