The Mantra

Started by Kittysnotthere, January 17, 2017, 03:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kittysnotthere

I have panic attacks where I end up sitting on the floor rocking back and forth and crying or screaming uncontrollably. It tends to happen when someone touches my neck, which is a trigger for me. You would think that would happen rarely but working in customer service a lot of customers and coworkers don't respect basic physical boundaries. To get me out of these panic attacks a therapist gave me a mantra. I repeat over and over "I'm doing the best I can and that's all I can do." I've found that works for me. What have you found works for your panic attacks?

woodsgnome

I use 2 words: love and peace. Silently I'll say either one on the in-breath, the other on the out-breath. I'll repeat 'til I feel I've regained some composure.

It's short, easy to remember, doesn't draw attention (using just normal breaths, not deep meditative sorts), and usually helps. I worked in situations requiring lots of people contact and with that approach survived several close calls where I felt on the edge of panic.

Hope you can find some relief; it's surprising sometimes how sudden these sorts of interactions come up. 

Three Roses

When I'm panicky or triggered I inhale slowly to the count of 4 and then exhale to the count of 6. This will trigger your heart rate to come down (I guess anytime exhaling takes longer than inhaling, this happens).

If I need to talk myself out of it too, I usually say something like, "I am here, now; I am safe." I don't really have a script, I just remind myself that I'm here in the present, I'm safe and have a lot more resources than I used to. Reminding myself that I'm in the present and not some past hurtful situation really seems to help me.