who has a Chihuahua as a service dog? I DO!

Started by Dee, December 17, 2016, 02:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee

I'm still in training with my new service dog, Gizmo.  So really, did I think I would end up with a Chihuahua, no way?   However, if you have ever heard the dog chooses the person, this was certainly the case.  I had three to chose from, thought for sure it would be the Maltese; I wanted a lap dog.  Yet when I picked up this guy he snuggled in, then turned on his back and laid in my arm like a baby.  Tomorrow we have to do some testing before I can take him home on Sunday.

To ease my fears about wearing CPTSD on my forehead they gave me on patch that says service dog on one side, the other side says medical alert dog.  I feel better.  Also, by law I don't have to tell them my disability.  I have to tell them he is for a disability and I have to say his tasks if questioned.  Law says 3 tasks, the org wants 5, for me we are doing 7 (cause I'm a mess).

So what is he trained or being trained for.  I had no idea they could do so much.

-Nightmares - he will lick my hands to wake me up and then comfort me
-Panic/Anxiety - he will interrupt and redirect my panic.  He will notice nervous fidgeting, increased hear rate and hyperventilation.
-Physical - he will know when I have low blood pressure or heart rate and alert me.  So I don't fall due to medications.  To reduce the chance of a fracture from my osteoporosis
- Posting and blocking.  He will stand behind or in front of me to keep people from being too close
- Self destructive behavior - he will interrupt and won't leave me alone if I continue the behavior
- medication reminder - he will remind me when I am suppose to eat by a bark

I'm exhausted, but this is better than I ever imagined.

Three Roses

I'm so happy for you!  :bighug: He sounds so great, and can do so much! Congratulations! Another :bighug:

radical

Me too.  He sounds like a great match :rundog: :  (sorry, the only dog emoticon available).

Smiles and hugs!

Saule

sanmagic7

that is sooooo cool!  enjoy!!!  hugs and smiles for you both.

Eyessoblue

Dee, I'm so pleased for you, that sounds like just what you need. How amazing that a dog can do all that.cant wait to hear more about it.

Kizzie

What a cute little guy Dee!  It's amazing that he is trained to help you in such specific ways. 

You may have written this elsewhere but how did you go about getting him?  And is it a federal organization? 

Dee

I used an organization for veterans.  However, it was an easy search on the internet and I found organizations that help all kinds of people.  All of them request a doctor's letter because of ADA laws in America.  The best part is I learned what can be legally asked, and it isn't much.

My therapist met my dog today and she went on and on about how good this is and how it is the right decision.  I feel good about this.  I have not had one rude comment or intrusive questioning.  I know it will likely come, but none yet.  The tag on his vest that says "medical alert"  makes me feel so much better.

He is so cute, he is such a baby and he loves me.

Kizzie

I think it's an awesome idea too - having that unconditional love, not to mention care when you need it, and always there for you, all so unlike what we knew/know. 

Maybe now that you've gone through the process and it wasn't overly difficult other US members will think about getting a service dog.  Is there any info/advice you can pass along?

I know I would love to hear how it's going with Gizmo if you don't mind sharing as you go along. 

Dee

The best advice I can give is to apply to several organizations.  The first one I applied to in my home state would not help me because my PTSD had to be combat related.  I cried on the phone as the guy, who felt bad, told me I was not eligible.  I almost didn't do another application, but I did two more.  Both organizations accepted me.  There are so many places and it may take a few tries to find the right one for you. 

The hard part was being totally honest.  They could not train the dog to do what I needed if I couldn't tell them what my problems are.  Sometimes that is hard to do.  It is revealing those things that you don't want anyone to know.  However, there was no judgement.  Now I have a dog that can interrupt destructive behavior when I almost didn't tell them about it.

Also, stand firm on what  you want.  The organization I got Gizmo through wanted to give me a German Shepard because it was such a good, well trained dog.  I almost did it, but I knew I wanted a dog that could sit on my lap.  In the end both the organization and I thought I made the right call for me.  I knew I needed a small dog and they saw I was right.

He is doing wonderful.  I had a bad night the other night and he did everything he was suppose to do.

Three Roses

Kizzie

Wow Dee that is awesome that he came through for you - good dog Gizmo!  I have goosebumps just thinking about it. 

Thanks for the info and good for you for persisting with the type of dog you would like and let the trainers know what behaviours the dog will need to deal with. 

I am really curious as to how they train them.  I've seen documentaries  on sniffer dogs and news clips on service dogs for physical disabilities, but not for emotional distress. It would be really interesting to see.

Anyhow, way to go both of you  :thumbup:

Dee

To train them they have to simulate the event and then reward them.  So for a nightmares a trainer may simulate thrashing around on a bed while holding a treat.  Once the dog comes to get the treat they teach the second behavior like licking hands or putting front legs on the person.

For anxiety I often scratch my leg.  If Gizmo sees me scratching he is suppose to come to me and jump up.  Also, he can tell an elevated heart rate and rapid breathing, like I do during panic attacks.  It takes two to teach blocking.  I have him and say block, he then goes to the distance in front of me that I like and a second person gives him a reward. 

I had several days of just working on these things.  Dogs learn really quickly, it's amazing.  I am going back in February to work on some more things and then I'll return a few more times.  He knew the basic training, but had/has to be trained to me.  Basically, it is all about simulating the behavior and rewarding the right response.

papillon

Happy for you, Dee!

I'm owner training my dog as a service dog.

The absolute best resource I've found has been http://www.psychdogpartners.org/.

They've done a fantastic job breaking down information relating to psychiatric service dogs. The email based forum is also an awesome fount of knowledge.

I would recommend anyone interested in a service dog to check out their information. There's a LOT of misinformation about service dogs to be found out there, so you really should be cautious. This nonprofit does a great job clarifying rumors vs facts/laws as well as advocating for disability rights pertaining to service dog use.