I'm freaking out, in a good way

Started by Dee, December 13, 2016, 03:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee

So during the bad weekend on an impulse I applied for a service dog, fully accredited.  I thought nothing would come of it.  They called today and asked if I can arrive on Wednesday and depart on Saturday evening or Sunday morning.  So I checked my calendar, an appointment with my therapist, an appointment with my image rehearsal therapist, an appointment with my dietitian.....so I said there is no reason why I can't.  So on Wednesday morning I am flying to Atlanta to get a full American with Disability Act service dog.  They have a Shih Tzu they think is a good match, but have a few others to choose from.  They also help you prepare for public questions and just staring.  Also, they said if I choose not to take it everywhere with me it is okay, because I mostly need it at home when I am alone (or to bite my parents?).  However, it would be nice if I could get through grocery shopping without leaving before I buy everything I need.

I'm scarred, still recovering, but the next opportunity is March at best.  So, here I go....  I need another glass of wine tonight!  I also need to email my therapist who advocated it.

Eyessoblue

That's fantastic dee, good for you. I had a dog for 15 years and he was my life and my comfort, nothing more healing then an animal, when he died last year I felt like half of me died with him and so much miss the comfort of him around and a reason to get up in the morning, unfortunately my husband refuses to have another dog now but I would have one again if I could.

sanmagic7

i've heard nothing but good things about service dogs, dee, so i'm really jazzed you're getting one.  smiling for you right now.  hope you have a long, caring partnership.  wonderful!

Three Roses

Wow! That's incredible! :D So happy for you :hug:

(I laughed really hard at the part about biting.. ;) )

Dee

Eyessoblue, lose the husband, I'm joking, unless you need to.

They called this morning and my anxiety is going down.  Apparently they know what they are doing, imagine that.  It is a therapeutic environment.  It is a direct flight and they pick me up from the airport.  I was worried about why am I such a priority and am I taking a dog away from someone else?  They assured me I am not taking a dog away, they just have a good fit right now.  They also told me that for now, when I take the dog in public I can say I am training the dog for a vet, which is very true.  They also have a therapist there to help with anxiety issues, especially related to the dog.  They have classes about dealing with public and other issues.  Maybe last minute is better, less time for it to weigh on my mind.

My therapist is calling me later today to go over some details with me.  She called it an exciting opportunity.  Thank you all for your support.  When I come back I should be able to answer therapy dog questions for anyone who might have them.

meursault

That' great news!  I'm excited for you!

Meursault

radical

Eyessoblue

Haha dee, I do sometimes think that maybe the answer! Kind of all over the place at the moment not sure what to do, just biding my time for now. So pleased for you though, think it will make a huge difference to your life.

sanmagic7

it sounds like a very caring, compassionate network.  what a refreshing feeling that must be for you.  can't wait to hear about your new companion!  yippee skippee!!