resources??

Started by joyful, November 17, 2016, 07:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joyful

Does anyone know of any good resources for people who are in a relationship with someone who is trying to recover from an addiction?
Anything would be super helpful, I'm really struggling.

Three Roses

Al Anon has some great principles and there's a meeting almost everywhere - even online meetings. No membership dues, no requirements, maybe throw a dollar in the pot once in a while (they usually rent space in churches). Helps you focus on you while your SO is recovering, or not recovering.  ;)

I attend these meetings and have for a while now. The camaraderie is great, and I'll bet most people who've grown up with alcoholics or been involved somehow with one can really relate to the symptoms we experience from cptsd.

sanmagic7

and, al-anon is really helpful if the addiction involved is something other than alcohol.  the principles are the same for any addiction.

i also know there are resources on the internet that deal with addictions of all kinds, and can give some great info on how to deal with an active addict or struggling to recover.  i've been involved with alcoholics, drug addicts, and sex addicts, and the more info i got on the addiction, the easier i found it to deal with what was going on, what part i played in the struggle, what was necessary for recovery, and the role of co-dependence.  best of luck with this - i know from experience it ain't always easy!