Anyone using a service dog?

Started by papillon, October 06, 2016, 03:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papillon

Anyone using a service dog to help mitigate their symptoms?

If so, would you mind sharing what work/tasks your dog helps you with, or other ways you benefit from their presence?

Marja

I'd be interested in knowing about a service dog too, if anyone has experience.

sanmagic7

my best friend has just gotten her dog certified for being a ptsd service dog.  she lives alone, so he is company.  on the days when she is so depressed, she doesn't want to get out of bed, he gives her a reason to get up so she can take him out, take him for a walk, feed and water him, etc.  he cuddles with her when she's feeling down - he seems to be able to sense when she needs some comfort and closeness.   he sleeps with her which helps with that lonely feeling for her, and which also provides a feeling of safety during the night.  he is a constant when things in her world begin going awry, or she's feeling out of sorts.   he provides companionship.  he makes her smile.  he is a warm, loving presence for her when everything seems dark, cold, and forbidding.  he's raised caring, protective feelings in her when she hasn't cared for or about anything.   he's always glad to see her when she gets home - she never has to come home to an empty house.  he also travels well with her.

the psychological and physical positives this dog provides for her are endless.  i've seen him work this magic for her, and i think it's truly wonderful.  after my husband's eye surgery, we're going to get a cat.  it won't become a certified service animal, but it will provide the same benefits for both of us, albeit in different ways.  if you get one, i hope you have many happy years together.

papillon

Thanks for sharing, sanmagic7. I got a dog a few months ago and have been considering training her for service work.

This site has a lot of helpful information if anyone is interested:
http://www.psychdogpartners.org

XxLemoNxX

I'm actually in the last step of my dogs full certification. He was my therapy dog for the last 5 years. He is trained from our bonding since he was 3 months old to my needs. Days I cannot deal with people as well he breaks down that overwhelming sensation. Because our bond it makes it so I have to get up and around daily. Even if I do not go outside with him myself just the bit of fresh air or Sun can be a day changer for the good. The ada covers the basic laws and then you must stay to date with your local laws.

Three Roses