Image Rehearsal Therapy

Started by Dee, October 03, 2016, 02:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee

I'm a little excited and a lot scared.  I am going for a consult today for IRT.  This is suppose to help a person change their dreams to a more positive outcome.  The more stressed I get, the more and worse the dreams.  I've been really stressed and while medication has helped most nights I've started dreaming I have been killed again.  I'm really worried thought that I will have to give details of my dreams, that is the scary part.  Just releasing a little anxiety here.

Dee

My appointment went well today.  She asked about my dreams (I hate the word nightmares) and I told her I have never discussed them.  She said that is okay and she would wait as long as I needed to trust her.  She said we can talk about anything I want to, all my time in remote countries.  She said we can do that every week until I am ready.  I really, really appreciated that.  I also told her I have died in my dreams.  She said that is very unusual, even people who have really died and have come back wake up before they take that last breath.  I don't know what to make of that.  But, she did confirm that I do have to tell her about my dreams; it's so scary.  I do like the idea that if I don't have to tell her if I choose not to.  I know that, but then I don't.

Wife#2

HUGS

I'm glad she's giving you time to trust her. That is so important! Just remember, it's ok to be unusual. You're just unique, based on your unique life and your unique experiences. All parts that build the Dee we are getting to know and care about.

Baby steps. They're good enough. You are good enough. You are headed in the right direction.

Dee

Today was a little more difficult.  She tried to assess my level of depression and said she would like to finish what she starts so I need to stick around.  I assured her that I recently decided I have a responsibility/obligation to get my youngest out of high school this school year.

I was given a nightmare log.  What time I have them, two key words to remind me what they were about, how many a night, and how long it takes to go back to sleep.

I really hope this leads to better and more restful nights.  It's been a lifetime of dreams, maybe there is some hope.

Dee

I'm still sticking with this, I have got to get off the drugs.  Now I have learned visualization of a safe place.  My place is in the woods, near a creek.  I am practicing this several times a day.  I think this prepares me to start visualizing a new ending to my dreams.  I also think creating the safe place can help with panic attacks.  I am still keeping a nightmare log.  She asked if I am going to be able to talk about my trauma.  I responded I don't know, but we will find out.