Caffeine

Started by Jenny Blount, June 27, 2016, 12:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenny Blount

This sounds so simplistic I'm almost afraid to post it. I love good strong coffee and usually brew it fresh from the bean every morning. I noticed it made my heart race but, hey...you need a kick start in the morning.........until I noticed it was actually helping to trigger flashbacks. Or, at least, the racing heart was telling my body it was in its threat zone....so a flashback was more that likely.
I've stopped drinking early morning coffee and that, combined with plenty of breathing exercises, REALLY helps.
Not saying it's a cure ...but not starting the day with a galloping heart seems to lessen the threat and help with anxiety/fear.

Three Roses

movementforthebetter

I agree, Jenny Blout. I've always been sensitive to caffeine. So much so I get the racing heart you mentioned plus stomach upset and sweating. It can definitely putme into a tailspin if too strong. And with my new meds the affect is amplified. Been weening myself off it for a few weeks and have noticed some relief. I still have more motivation than I used to and I feel healthier, too.

papillon

Glad you figured that out! Caffeine does the same to me, which is lame because I love coffee!! I guess our health and sanity come before enjoying a caffeine buzz  :doh:

Caffeine is known to trigger anxiety and disturb natural sleep cycles. We need to safeguard our sleep (because that's when the brain heals) and we certainly don't need any more anxiety in our lives  :bigwink:

Jenny Blount

Thanks Papillon and Movement!
I've just had a lovely milky coffee by the sea....very soothing and good for the soul!
So pleased I've found this place and that people reply. Grateful! Jxx

Elizabeth Jack

I drink a lot of Earl Grey tea.  Which has caffeine, but doesn't make me nearly as amped as coffee does.  Straight up green tea upsets my stomach for some reason, so it's black tea, mixes, and herbals for me.  But a lovely hot cup of tea calms me right down  :hug:

MidnightOwl

Yes, too much caffeine is a trigger for me as well, even though I do drink a ton of the stuff. I'm working on timing it better, tends to be worse first thing in the am.

Also, being cold triggers me big time. Interesting to note these things :)

theaquarist

Huh! I'm so glad we are talking about this, and that a handful of you have similar feelings about coffee.
I'm 24 and started drinking coffee to treat my depression, mostly. It's what I used to do things I didn't want to do, to cover up my emotional injuries or bad moods, get a better workout, or basically just losing awareness that was annoying to me. Then I started noticing that most of my problems with anxiety and fear were stemming from coffee as well.
I'm made a complete turn around to having maybe 1 cup of green tea a day, but also Chamomile tea throughout. Using chamomile and drinking a liter of herbal tea a day has helped me feel so much stronger than coffee pushing pushing pushing.
I also feel like o can trust myself more? Like the hero part of my personality is free to operate how she needs to, on her own will and time. My fearful self doesn't get to push the buttons as much...
Really happy for everyone who found a way pay attention to your needs.

Fen Starshimmer

Well done Theaquarist for free-ing yourself from caffeine. Sounds like life has improved dramatically as a result. Yay!  :applause:

Important topic, caffeine, as I have learned. I was advised to stop taking my morning cup of coffee recently after finding out my adrenals are burnt out. Apparently, the caffeine in coffee puts pressure on the adrenal glands which produce more stress hormones like cortisol, and the knock on effects can be a racing heart etc. I have found sacrificing my morning wake up buzz from coffee is paying dividends in terms of lowering tension and heart pressure etc, so I am less easily triggered. That's so worth it!