Information about Dissociation

Started by Kizzie, September 24, 2015, 01:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

Angelica

hi , I'm new here and am greatful too read your posts about c-ptsd, I am 52 and when I learned of this it made everything in my life make sence.  I have kept myself away from people but this doesn't help it only re-victimizes me and I breathe a sigh of relief knowing there are others out her who understand and I'm not alone.  with regards to disassociating, that is what I did during beatings, I literally left my body and found myself above and watching,  for me it was not painful, but a way to endure it, but when I had to witness my sister being harmed it hurt me severely, I don't understand this but , it seems there is a lot of reading for me.  to do. 
I am not sure how this posting works, ive never been on such a site before so hope I do not offend anyone  , it is not my intention,   be well and lets all heal together :)

Three Roses

Hello and welcome, Angelica! Thanks for joining.

This forum has been a real lifeline for me. I hope you get as much out of it as I have - I think you will!  :wave:

Kizzie

Sia

Hi there, I'm glad you found out about this.  I'd suggest you look up info on polyvagal nerve therory.  It explains perfectly what happens, there's a great YouTube video

Sia

Everyone should check out polyvagal nerve therory for another view on disassociation.  It solved what I've been wondering about and dealing with for the past 15 years.  There's a great YouTube video that's hilarious and informative.  I'm so grateful things are finally starting to come together

Three Roses

QuoteI'm so grateful things are finally starting to come together

:cheer:

Kizzie

A new article by Robyn Brickel about dissociation:

Dissociation: How People Cope with Trauma They Want to Forget

Dissociation happens to just about everybody at some time. It takes many different forms for different people. But for people with a complex trauma history, dissociation keeps the brain in survival mode. Nobody can endure a constant state of fear and still function well. You can't get through life unscathed while always feeling frozen, worried or shut down by your greatest fears. Dissociation can function as protection, by keeping people unaware of the distress of being traumatized.